Saturday, July 19, 2014

Spiders!

Spiders...Yes spiders. One of the creepiest of the creepy-crawlies on our planet. Perfect for a Chaos Daemon army. But what to use and why?


I was thinking a lot about adding some flesh hounds of Khorne to my Nurgle army. A unit to use to take pressure off some of my other units, something fast, durable and nasty. Plague drones haven't been working out for me. I usually run three of them with the rot proboscis upgrade which ends up costing 156 points. That's 9 T5 wounds. In their defense, the unit usually takes an inordinate amount of firepower to bring down, but they do very little in combat. The flesh hounds, on the other hand, cost 160 points for 20 T4 wounds, they have scout and hit very hard on the charge.

The plague drones cannot be joined by a decent IC, which is their biggest downfall. With flesh hounds I can mess around with Karanak or other nastiness in the form of a herald on a juggernaut.


At any rate, the current flesh hound models are total dogshit. They come in either metal (from eBay) or finecrap from the G-Dubs. Both options are out of the question for me. I've already got a unit of Warhammer Fantasy chaos warhounds built for my Khorne army, but I wanted something more crawly for my Nurgle dudes.

I came up with spiders. These are the Ork and Goblin spiders from fantasy. They cost about $5 for five of them from some dude on eBay. Let's see what one looks like painted.

For some bonus creepiness, listen to this odd spoken word song by Tom Waits while reading this post.

 I started with a solid black prime.

 Then a coat of Khorne Red.

 I followed the base coat with a wash of Leviathan Purple.

Then went back and highlighted with Khorne Red.

 The legs were given a light smattering of brown at the tips.

 And finished with black.

 I then highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet.

 And dotted the eyes with Hoeth Blue.

Here we are on a base. I still haven't decided to 'Ardcoat them or not. We'll see.

Just imagine a squad of 15 of these suckers coming at you. Total intimidation. Now I just need a giant spider to use as Karanak.

2 comments:

  1. dude, you've got some of the best off the wall posts. I love the weird Tom Waits poem/prose. I agree with your take on the plauge drones, flesh hounds in that list would be killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man. I just like the sheer creepiness of a bunch of spiders coming down the pipe, it sets off some basic fear we all have deep within us.

    ReplyDelete