Friday, July 4, 2014

Painthammer: Exposed Flesh

It's the Fourth of July, it's pissing rain, I've got the weekend at home and I plan on painting my ass off. 

Maybe at some point you've asked the interwebs, "How to paint exposed flesh?" I've got a sweet technique and truth is, I use it on a number of different models to represent a variety of things such as:


 This beast of Nurgle's guts.


 The gums around the Audrey II mouth on this plagubearer.

 Wings on this daemon prince.

 Another detail of the wings.

 Fleshtube line on this heavy venom cannon.

 Sinew and growths on the bonesword arm.

 Wings on this harpy conversion.

Closer look.

A close up view. These are used with no gloss effect. 

Gross tentacles on these tyranid objective markers. 

All you need to accomplish this very simple technique are the following colors: Cadian Fleshtone, Carrosburg Crimson, Dwarf Flesh, Elf Flesh and 'Ardcoat. 

I've got a recently kitbashed and converted daemon prince of Nurgle that will need a ton of this effect in various places. Let's start. 


 The "gummy" area around the former forgefiend cannons will first be primed black.

 Then given two coats of the Cadian Fleshtone.

 Next is a heavy duty wash of Carrosburg. This is what it looks like dried.

 After the model dries I highlight the raised areas with Dwarf Flesh. I try to keep the paint pretty heavy here. \
I then hit it with another heavy wash of the Carrosburg Crimson. 

I go back again with the Dwarf Flesh .

 And then highlight with some Elf Flesh.

 I give one more very light wash in the recesses.

 And finish by 'Ardcoating.

Here we are with the teeth painted to give the technique a little more backdrop. 

The beauty of this technique is that more wash can be applied to administer a darker tone as in the beast of Nurgle's guts. Subsequent layers can also be added or subtracted and more highlights with some white can also work. It's a great look that I use often. 

2 comments:

  1. might have to get some new paints and try this one out! Nice work Dr. Hemlock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first commentator! Thanks for the kind words, dude.

    ReplyDelete