Sunday, July 27, 2014

Painthammer: How to Paint Gemstones


Gemstones...They appear on those annoying wave serpents and other space elf stuff...They also show up on a chaos dude every once in awhile and the technique can be applied to window panes, Necron scenery, etc.

First off, a reference to the introduction of Robert DeNiro's character in Goodfellas, "Jimmy the Gent." I realize it's a bit of a stretch, but I always say "Gem" when quoting the movie. At any rate here's a clip from what I consider one of the top five movies of all time.
Great stuff. Best line: "The Irishman is here to take all you guinea's money."

The documentary about the real life Henry Hill is worth a look as well. Watch it here.

Anyway...Let's paint some gems...

 Here's the gemstone/chaos symbol from the helbrute kit. The model is a Nurgle prince conversion I've been painting for about a million years.

 I started with Kantor Blue and intentionally got a little sloppy to practice a glowing effect.

 Next, I washed with Leviathan Purple.

 This picture blows. It's hard to tell, but I went back with the Kantor Blue and made a half moon shape underneath the bottom half of the gem.

 Next, I followed up with Enchanted Blue in the same half moon effect.

 Underneath the Enchanted Blue I made a small sweep with Space Wolf Grey.

 The next step was to put a small sliver of white under the SW Grey and apply a small dot of white at the very top of the gem to represent a reflection.

After finishing the gem in blue I realized I didn't like the color. So I decided to do it over with red...

 Here's the sideways base coat of Khorne Red.

Next was a wash of Carrosberg Crimson.

 And a wash of Leviathan Purple.

 I then did the same half moon effect with Khorne Red.

 And under the Khorne Red came the Evil Suns Scarlet.

 Here's the final touch with white on the top and bottom.

And some 'Ardcoat to make it shiny.

Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment