Monday, June 30, 2014

Using Water Effects

Water effects add that extra something something, a dimension of reality, to terrain or a display board. Maybe it's the added oomph that we humans get from the shiny fake stuff or perhaps it just adds that bit of realism we need in a constant crusade to ground our plastic mans in each personal escape from reality.


At any rate, I've finished a couple of display boards that utilize the water effects and I thought I'd stay positive, and help with the do's, not the don'ts I learned along the way.

 First off, here's what you'll need. A level, a cup for mixing, a piece of sprue for stirring, some ink (In this case, Seraphim Sepia) if you're adding color and of course, the water effects themselves.

I use Magic Water. Now, I'm sure that there are different/better/alternative water effects out there, but this one is sold at my local hobby store and works very well.

It's a little daunting at first to use this stuff. Try not to be afraid. It is very easy. The compound comes in two parts that mix together in a 1:2 ratio. After my first attempt I kicked myself for thinking there was something mysterious about using the water effects. Nothing could be easier and nothing can make a piece of terrain or display board look so much better.

OK. Let's get going.

Do: Use a level on your bases, display boards, terrain, etc. The water effects take up to 24 hours to harden and will spread out fast.

Do: check for any holes, cracks, etc. where the water effects could seep out. Liquid will always find the best way down and out. I learned this the hard way and this stuff is not cheap.

Do: remember to put down some type of drop cloth that will protect your work surface. The water effects are tough to remove once hard. Note: newspaper does not work well at all. It is too porous and absorbs rather than catches the water effects.

Do: Use the water effects in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. Trust me on this one. Open the damn window, grab a fan, and put the fan on full blast. You'll thank me later. This stuff is extremely toxic.

Do: Stir the ever-loving shit out of the compound with your piece of sprue. The directions recommend five minutes but I go longer. If you don't stir properly and you are adding ink, the ink just won't blend into the magic water compound.

 To prove my point, here's a pic of well-stirred magic water with Seraphim Sepia added. Looks good right?

 Do: Add cool stuff to the water, but do it when it's still liquid. Above is my first attempt. Crappy picture, but successful application of water effects.

 Here is my second attempt.

 And here is my third, latest attempt. A before...

 And an after, to demonstrate how much the water effects really add.

 Again, a before...

And an after...

Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment