Sunday, November 23, 2014

Putting the Band Back Together

I own multiple armies but my heart still returns to my first--the Tyranids. Just a few months ago I considered selling them off or giving them away...So what happened? Why the renewed interest?
Well, my friends in geekdom, it seems GW may actually care about this army. I mean, they're a bit like a dumped girlfriend attempting to amend former mistakes. They're at least acting like they care, and we, as consumers, are responding. GW is turning a corner.

The last couple of years have been a 40K dark age. Games Workshop has made some shitty decisions, most notably the ridiculous increase in prices and stale codices. I've seen people drop the hobby left and right because they're sick of GW shitting on them and their armies. A lot of these people have been tyranid players and I can't really blame them.

Look, the current codex doesn't suck, per se, but it's dry as hell. The warlord traits and psychic powers are head scratchingly bad. A lot of the former flavor is gone. They took a lot of things away and that pissed a ton of people off. I mean, why knock hive guard down to BS3 especially after releasing a shiny new plastic kit? Again, rules writing like this makes no sense whatsoever. I won't spill into the entire rant about the current codex, because those tears dried a long time ago, but you have to wonder what goes through (or what doesn't go through) the mind of the mongoloids behind all this. Sigh...

The point of this article is to reiterate that tyranids are one of the coolest and most popular armies in 40K. Until recently, they were all but forgotten until GW breathed life back into them and showed they may care by releasing a model we all thought to be gone forever.

My fine feathered friends, enter the tyrannocyte.

 I bought it last week and immediately went to work painting it up.

Yeah, this fucker's big.

Here it is dwarfing a tervigon.


 Here's the sporocyst as well.

I chose not to model the floating tentacled version of the tyrannocyte because I also wanted to use a sporocyst. I glued the fucker directly to the base. Guess what? The kit only comes with one set of tentacles and I also couldn't trust whether or not those spindly little things could hold up that giant model.

Is the model actually cool or is it that we've been waiting almost five years for it? Not sure, but this release has single handedly renewed my interest in the tyranids again. Yeah, I'm back painting my 'nids and realizing what a cool and interesting army they are. I'm putting the band back together...

Stay tuned.







No comments:

Post a Comment